Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

KIOS - Day 22

Day 22: Wee Me

Here I am! Ready to go!

I love this photo. Wide, wide open mouth – I am probably singing :-)

The weird angle of my legs is because when I was a baby I had what they called "Congenital Hip Dysplasia" (now they call it Developmental Hip Disorder). Basically, my hip cartilage didn't gel properly and I had to be operated on at about 10 months and was put in traction and then a cast, which I'm wearing in this photo.

Apparently, I was surprisingly cheerful about the whole thing. Though I think the long days in the hospital nursery must have been rather grim. They didn't have the same policies about babies and parents in hospitals back in the 70s. I'm glad I can't remember it. 

And I'm certainly very glad that they were able to fix my hips. The trouble was caught early by an excellent paediatrician who then helped give me the gift of mobility. It is wonderful to be able to walk, run, play squash, snowshoe, skate. I am deeply grateful.


5 comments:

  1. It looks like nothing in this world could ever hold you back! I am also glad this is a problem they fixed early in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, glad they were able to fix you. You look very happy regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh such irrepressible delight shines from you in this photo! What a joy to see. So glad they were able to fix the hip issue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to be the case with kids who have such major structural issues, that they are really happy regardless. My sister was the same way. I love this picture XD

    ReplyDelete