Pages

Monday, December 16, 2013

Days 15 and 16: KIOS Blog-A-Thon

Day 16: Favourite songs

SO, SO many!

Here are just a few:
  1. "Moonshine and Mischief": I have to include my favourite of my own songs. This one was written in a funny way. The people in the song showed up to tell me the first part of their story on Christmas Day, 2007. Just out of a long relationship that had gone really sour, I was sitting home alone, and the first two verses of the song came to me like magic. Then, those verses languished in a journal for almost three years until I was flipping through and the other two verses and the chorus instantly came to me. (This is the version I recorded for my most recent album, Blackbirds, with the wonderful Tom Terrell of the Modern Grass singing the male part of the duet.) 
  2. Temptation of Adam by Josh Ritter. I think this is the very best love song EVER WRITTEN. I wish I had written it myself, but I don't think I could have ever come up with the missile silo metaphor. It's something else.
  3. Lantern by Josh Ritter. The sound quality on this video is not great, but it's lovely to see the audience surprise Josh and the band with glowsticks - and you can still here the best lyrics in this song: "If there's a Book of Jubilation, we'll have to write it for ourselves." (If you'd like to hear the studio version, here it is).
  4. The Rear Guard by Old Man Luedecke. More great lyrics (do you sense a theme here? I like good lyrics – a lot), "The couches sure are comfy in the salon to refusés" and "My hands are on fire, I ain't got no more time for all you charlatans and liars." Plus, the banjoy – SWOON!
  5. The Bridge by Oh Susanna. More CanCon. This is utterly compelling – six minutes of beautifully-constructed heartbreak. 
Oh, I could go on forever. But I must get to work! Have a wonderful day, all y'all.

Day 15: Who do you love?

Many, many people. I have a heart brimming with love. 

But, I don't like to put pictures of people up on the Interwebs without their say-so.

So, here is a picture of my brand new Kitteh, Salinger, who is going to come live with me when I move into my new tiny home in May.





7 comments:

  1. I didn't know any of the songs you listed, so I listened to them. I tjink I like Josh Ritter. :)
    And: hello Salinger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know any of the songs you listed either! Good for you for protecting privacy. Hello kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hadn't listened to much Josh Ritter before this post ... gonna add to my playlist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete