Pages

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Days 12, 13 and 14: KIOS Blog-a-Thon

I've had a wild few days and haven't been able to show up to the page. Here I am now, catching up on my blog posts...

Day 14: One Sentence Saturday - From A Book

Instructions:

We're making it easy today! Share one sentence from a book.
Okay not quite that easy.
Grab the third book in on your top shelf of books.
Share the first sentence.


"All day it has been windy – strange weather for late July – the wind swirling through the hedges like an invisible flood-tide among seaweed; tugging, compelling them in its own direction, dragging them one way until the patches of elder and privet sagged outward from the tougher stretches of blackthorn on either side."

Day Thirteen: My First...

My first rock concert without grown-up chaperones was a big one: David Bowie, Serious Moonlight Tour, 1982 at the big stadium in Vancouver, whatever that place is called. Peter Gabriel and The Tubes OPENED for him. I went with my older sister and a couple of teenaged family friends. I was twelve. 

The moment I remember over all others, is Bowie, sitting in a gorgeous cream suit, in a director's chair holding a skull and singing "Ashes to Ashes" to it. Swoon!

Day Twelve: 10 Things I Know For Sure

1. In-depth psychotherapy helps heal traumatic experiences.
2. Life is about progress, not perfection.
3. The Serenity Prayer is a good thing for me to keep in mind: Give me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
4. I am very lucky.
5. I am just a tiny, tiny speck in the universe. Insignificance is very relaxing.
6. I live in the exact community I am meant to be in.
7. My family will stand by me, no matter what.
8. Gratitude is a good thing to cultivate
9. I am going to have to get rid of a lot of things to fit into my new tiny home.
10. It is cold out today (there is ice on the inside of the leaky windows in the old house I'm living in – Brrrr).


9 comments:

  1. Very interesting, all three of them! You're very lucky to have #7. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book quote and I totally resonated with #5 on your list of ten things you know. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, image-filled first sentence! And I was a David Bowie freak as a teenager--how cool that you got to see that show! I hear you about the relaxing nature of insignificance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so moved by all of this, Alex. First concerts on our own, what a pivotal moment! And wow, what a concert you have as your first! The 7th thing you know for sure brought tears to my eyes. And I'm so curious about the book that gorgeous sentence comes from. I'm betting it's Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sentence is actually British - Richard Adams (of Watership Down fame), but this is from his book The Girl in a Swing, which I haven't read yet :-)

      Delete
  5. Concerts are heaven. #1 and #3 on your list are shouting at me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your #5. There is comfort in insignificance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great! I love that you did more than one, and great David Bowie story

    ReplyDelete