Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2016

The shed: Part 2 (a tiny home/land development report)

The shed is going up in double-quick time! I can't believe how it is springing up right before my eyes!

Tilia Builders have designed and are building the shed for me. Tilia is owned by my friend and neighbour, Liam and his friend Michael. Liam played banjo at my 2012 CD release party for Blackbirds, so we go way back – in relative terms for my life here in NS, anyway. And my friend and neighbour, Dave, is working with Tilia. So Liam and Dave have been here for a couple of days so far. And yet again, I am counting myself lucky to be working with professionals who are not only stellar at their jobs, but who are also fun to chat with during coffee breaks. 

Between our wait for the building permit and the vagaries of the weather in a typical Nova Scotian spring, the first day of construction was Thursday.

The all-important building permit – worth the wait :-)

From the ground up.

Dave braces the first wall
Liam cuts the first rafter
And they get 'er in place. Smile!
Yesterday, I had to be away while work was happening here.

I went off to help clean the soon-to-be home of a dear friend of mine who is moving back to Nova Scotia from away. After that, I did some desk work, finished preparing my taxes, filed them, paid them and then went out for supper with a friend – the last treat of that sort permitted in my budget for a LONG time. But it felt necessary to mark the filing of my taxes.
I came home to this sweet beauty!

Here's a shot from the doorway up through the rafters
And here is Sal rolling in the dirt and sawdust this morning. Mmmm, deliciously gritty!
By the time I got home yesterday evening, Dave and Liam had wrapped up their long day. But I found my amazing friend had stopped by to move some logs that were in the way of the staging for the shed and to re-block my trailer and get it all level. We had just gotten the tiny home into place the day we moved it and did a quick job blocking it. It had a little lean to the right and to the back. Now it is totally level and super-well supported. Just check out these gorgeous hemlock blocks:

I woke up this morning to sunlight through the maple leaves outside the window by my bed and a view of the corner of the new shed. It was sweetly silent, the birds taking a little break from their morning songs. I felt so supremely lucky. I feel surrounded by community support and blessed with solitude when I need it – which is often, these days.

But not much solitude for me today, as I am off to the West Dublin Market for breakfast. And then to not one, but two, concerts with my mom. Lucky, lucky, lucky!

1 comment:

  1. So nice to see everything coming together, Alex! And it sounds like such a lovely, peaceful spot . . so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete