Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2015

My 2016 word of the year

For a few years now, I've had the habit of assigning a word – a theme – for the coming year.

2014 was: right-size
2015 was: replenish

I obviously have a real love affair with the letter R because the word I have selected for 2016 is: ROOTS.

Here's a link to the complete definition


There are a number of different ways that I plan to apply my focus on roots:

Metaphorically:
  • developing my land 
  • building a permanent home (hopefully)
  • being able to stay put next winter (hopefully)
  • becoming more rooted in the reality of my finances and starting to build a better financial foundation for myself
  • working on being more grounded in my emotions
  • feeling more rooted in my sense of self

Literally:
  • plant a garden
  • plant a small fruit and nut orchard

I believe choosing a word for the year can be a powerful tool.

I entered 2015 depleted and depressed. I chose to focus on replenishment. I did a lot of jigsaws, cut back on my volunteer commitments, and took things easy. I made a creative commitment and stuck to it. I focused on learning things that would help me figure out how the well had gotten so dry and how to be more sensible about how I choose to use my resources in the future. The rain came again and I was there to welcome it. I built myself back up and am coming out of 2015 feeling juicy and replete once again.

I have great hopes that my 2016 focus on ROOTS will be just as successful as my 2015 focus on  REPLENISHMENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment