Pages

Friday, December 25, 2015

Local Shopping by Proxy

Here's a fun idea for holiday gift-giving – Shopping Local by Proxy.

I got an email last week from a good friend, with a proposition for me.

She lives more than 1,500 km away from her mom, while I live about 20 km away from her mom. And there is an awesome, new, independent bookstore, Lexicon Books, in the town where I am living this winter.

So, rather than order books online from one of the big conglomerates, my friend asked if I would be willing to pick up some books she would order at Lexicon and take them over to her mom the next time I was going that way.

This sounded like an excellent idea to me. I happily agreed.

I picked the books up yesterday and delivered them today.

My friend added a gift certificate for me to her order – which she totally didn't need to do, but which I will gleefully spend – I want to get one of Rebecca Roher's adult calendar/colouring books: Hot Babes Wash Dirty Dogs while I'll put the remainder toward Brené Brown's book Daring Greatly (which I have on order and which should be coming in later this week).



So have a think about friends who live near your loved ones and figure out if you can replace the faceless convenience of online shopping with friendly connections and support of local businesses.




No comments:

Post a Comment