Pages

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Home Sweet Home

I just got back yesterday from a week spent at the 39th Annual Labrador Creative Arts Festival. (If you'd like to read about my experiences there in detail, please visit my music blog here).

The trip was amazing – very intense and very social. I was a bit worried that I wasn't going to come through it gracefully, when it had only been a couple of weeks since I had been feeling so depressed.

Fortunately, I passed the test! I feel like I did a good job. I learned a lot. I shared some of my knowledge and songs and experiences.

And boy, is it ever good to be home again! It's good to have the option of solitude and peacefulness. It's good to have time to rest, relax, write and process the week.

I have some personal work ahead of me now. During the trip, I let go of my food intentions completely and only did yoga for the first three days. I didn't want to put pressure on myself to try to maintain my relatively unfamiliar self-care routine in the face of a hectic schedule. The important thing was to keep going and have fun. And if that meant reverting to a few old crutches, like sugar or a glass of wine at a soirée, I wasn't going to fuss about it.

For the most part, I didn't have too many dark thoughts intruding. I think I was too busy to feel down, even in the face of making less healthy choices.

I certainly noticed a difference in my body, and especially my digestion, eating delicious things like flummies and fish and chips, and my big fall-back: trail mix laced with pralined nuts and Reese's Pieces:


Instant energy!
I'm looking forward to getting back on board with a healthier diet and a calmer schedule.

Yesterday afternoon, I did a little work, snuggled with Salinger and then slept for eleven hours last night! Today I got up, did yoga, ate rice and veggies for breakfast and went to the farmers' market.

It feels very good to be back home!

2 comments: