Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Body Wisdom Part 3: Getting hurt and getting healed

It's been a doozy of a week. 

Over the weekend, I noticed my cat, Salinger, was acting strangely. He was cranky and hissing and growling, which is very unlike his usual behaviour. Earlier in the day, I had spotted the neighbour cat (Sal's nemesis) in our home scoffing Sal's food and I put his mood down to that. But on Monday, it was obvious that Sal was in pain, sick, listless and favouring his left rear foot.

I booked the first available appointment at my vet clinic (for the early afternoon) and spent the morning watching Sal and worrying. Once at the vet I learned that Sal had a high fever and then discovered that he had a massive abscessed cat bite under his left rear leg. The vet clinic I go to is wonderful. Sal was swiftly sedated, injected with an antibiotic and had his abscess lanced. I paid the bill and Sal was released into my care: woozy and limp. 

He's spent the days since convalescing: antibiotics twice a day, warm compresses as often as he'll let me. And he's been healing day by day. Today he's much improved - walking without a limp and able to hop up easily on the chair or bed. From now on he'll just be trying to break out of the house. But I want to keep him in for at least another day, maybe two. And so we're hanging out in our tiny home - trying to have some fun and some cuddles and spend this time well until he's mended enough to go back out into the big, bad world. 

My experiences with Sal this week have got me thinking about hurts and recovery for myself as well. 

Like Salinger, I have a naturally exuberant, gregarious personality. I love my life and I love being out in the world. But lately, I've been cranky and down-hearted. And for exactly the same reason as Salinger - I got hurt. And it got infected. 

I sought out the lancing, but I haven't been taking my antibiotics and I haven't been keeping myself safe indoors and scratching myself behind the ears and telling myself that I am a good Alex.

Salinger's terrible week has taught me a lesson. To slow down, to be kinder to myself, to keep myself safe until I'm healed.

His hissing and growling over the weekend has made me look at my own tendency to hiss and growl, lately. It is a natural reaction to become defensive and hostile when one is hurt. Animal Behaviour 101.

I can see where this path could lead if I don't take care to find healing for myself soon. I don't want to become bitter and harsh just because I got hurt. Getting hurt was not my choice, but what I decide to do about it is. 

So, I've decided that this is going to be the winter of naps in sunbeams and healthy food. Of jigsaw puzzles and meditation and yoga. Of staying in and journaling and relaxing. I'm going to hang out and lick my wounds until they heal. Until I feel like myself again. And I'll be in good company with my little, orange buddy.

4 comments: