Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Move: Part 5 (In which I actually start to move my stuff and myself, but it's far from over...)

We had a wicked spring storm yesterday in Nova Scotia. Howling winds and quite a lot of snow – hard to say exactly how much as the earth was scoured bare in places with 2-foot-high drifts in others.

I'm preparing to move my living quarters to Wholehearted House this weekend – for 2 reasons
  1. My cat is coming
  2. I have firewood at the Tiny House and I am almost out of wood at the big, old house where I have been renting
My cat
Yes, I have a cat. He arrived as a stray last fall at the home of a dear friend who felt sorry for the poor, half-starved kitty, but knew he couldn't afford to keep two cats.

Well, I'm a cat person who's been a long time without a cat. And, this cat was orange. I have never had an orange kitty - black cats, brown tabbies and a white cat with grey splotches - I've always wanted an orange one.

I can't have a cat where I rent because my landlord is allergic, so my friend agreed to foster this little waif, with me covering food, litter and vet expenses. Knowing I had a cat to house was one of the things that motivated me to find a home of my own.

I named my cat Salinger, after the great J.D. and I've had lots of visits to bond with the little fellow. He's gone from a tiny mite to a strapping man-cat in the past 6 months. He's been neutered and wormed and vaccinated. He's cuddly and snugly and smart - although with an unfortunate tendency to try to eat things he oughtn't. Curiosity has almost killed this cat a couple of times.

Now, my friend has to move next week and rather than make Salinger move twice, I've decided to step up my move into the tiny house. 

I got my bed and armchair up there on Monday ahead of the storm and I'll be going to pick Salinger up from his foster-poppa on Saturday and Sal and I will move in to Wholehearted House together. 

We hope the kind friend who saved Salinger's life will be able to come visit soon.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You will LOVE him! He is highly adorable!

      Delete
    2. Sal is adorable . . . I've had many orange cats over the years and loved each and every one of them. You can't go wrong with orange cats . . . they all seem to have such lovely personalities. Good luck with your big move to your new tiny home!

      Delete
    3. What a cutie pie. Good luck on the move. Winter isn't letting go soon here either. We, too, had snow last night. ***sigh***

      Delete