Pages

Friday, April 27, 2018

Slug Challenge Kick-off 2018

The first seeds have been planted. This means that my yearly challenge has been issued to the slugs who are the de facto overlords of The Crooked Wood.

I think this is year two (?) for my flat-topped hugelkultur bed. 

I bought a bigger bottle of Abundance liquid fertilizer at Seedy Saturday this year, but last year's empty is still in my garden. I think this photo demonstrates how picturesque it can be to be messy and a total chaos muppet.
I hear slugs hate sand, so I gave this bed of bok choy and other greens a good sprinkling...


Salinger enjoys gardening. And, of course, he is quite good about staying off the planting beds –
at least when anyone is watching. Now, if only I could help him acquire a taste for hunting slugs – but ugh.

Some of the open-sourced seeds I got from the lovely folks at Seedy Saturday this year
(held in Dayspring at the Municipal Activity and Recreation Complex, aka the MARC, back in February).
The garlic I planted in the fall is several inches above the ground, so that's encouraging. I am planning to build many more hugelkultur beds in the next couple of weeks – some for veggies, some for flowers and herbs, some located along my driveway and others on the land that was cleared around the new cabin. 

I am also harbouring some nut tree fantasies. I haven't decided yet if those are in my budget for this year, but I expect you know the saying: "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love growing things or helping things grow and then eating them. It's just so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Trevor! Gardening feels like a pretty new thing for me, but it's rapidly becoming a favourite hobby.

      Delete
  2. Do the nut trees/shrubs. You won’t be sorry! Takes a while for them to fruit. The hazelnuts we planted for you are munificent now, but when did we plant them? Buy the biggest you can’t afford!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, Mom, I got my hands on some! They are leafing out now and looking pretty comfortable so far.

      Delete