Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Turning the corner

It was forecast to go down to 8 degrees Celsius last night. And judging from the temperature this morning, I believe it did.

But, I stayed comfortable despite my lack of a heat source. Last night, I gathered all of the blankets that I had taken off my bed about 6 weeks ago and spread them back on top. I closed all of the windows - except for Salinger's back door - and all of the skylights.

There was something very cozy about cuddling back under all of my blankets last night. And something even cozier about waking up this morning and staying in bed for a bit before getting up to make a hot cup of tea to drink in the brisk morning air. There is so much love and safety, as well as warmth, stored up in these blankets.

Left to right: "Nana's Ocean" (the quilt I completed for my grandmother in 2001), the quilt made for me by the mom of my best friend in grade 8, and "My Favourite Mistakes" (the first bed-sized quilt I ever completed, started in 1998 and completed in 2000). 

The forecast says it's going to go back to being 17 overnight for most of the next 10 days. So this was only a forerunner. But, along with the ever-shortening days, it's a warning that my time here for this summer is drawing to a close.

That's a melancholy feeling. My sweet, happy, quiet, mostly solitary, summer in the woods is almost over. In a month or so, I'll be moving back into my winter digs in town. 

I feel determined to build a winterized cabin here next summer so that next year I can stay. I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to do that. But then, I wasn't sure how I was going to manage to get my house moved or power and high speed internet hooked up this summer and it all came together, with the help of many friends and friendly professionals - so I'm sure I'll figure all of the necessary steps out somehow - and receive all of the help I will need!

4 comments:

  1. I too enjoy the cooler nights and we will soon be putting on the fuzzy sheets. Your wee place sounds so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is cozy! Though not so much when the weather gets really cold. Even so, I'm going to miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the heaviness of quilts in Winter. They feel safe like grandma's there and nothing bad can ever happen. It's just Winter. That's all.
    I wonder what your first Winter will be like at the crooked woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to find out in 2017 – excited already!

      Delete