Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Sexism and Community Building

At the AGM

I sit on the board of a community group and I participated in their AGM last week. After presentations from the Chair and elections of board members, the group was split up into three groups to brainstorm some ideas for our next steps.

I was working to facilitate one of the groups, standing at the flip chart taking notes. I made a few suggestions myself and tried to help people elaborate some of their ideas and tried to moderate some conflicting opinions, while capturing all the ideas on paper.

I was the only woman in the group and also the youngest person there – there was only one other person under 50 in a group of 8 or 9 people.

I felt that everything went quite well in the group. We elicited some good ideas, heard some interesting feedback and made some connections.

"You fail as a leader."

As the time drew to a close, our Chair stepped over to the group and asked me to wrap up. I told the group we just had about a minute left. It didn't really register with the group. The two other groups in the room were still talking and ours kept going too. A couple of minutes later, the Chair came over again and asked me to wrap up. I apologized to her that I hadn't already gotten the group to finish.

One of the men in my group said, "You fail as a leader."

"What?" I said, shocked.

"You fail as a leader," he repeated.

I froze

I didn't know what to say. The request had been to return to the main part of the room, so we all did. The meeting ended. I chatted with a few people there about some ideas for future plans. I went home and seemed fine. And then I couldn't get to sleep. I was haunted by this seemingly unprovoked hostile comment.

The aftermath

I stewed and fussed. Had I failed as a leader? Had I somehow left this man feeling unheard in the group? Or did he simply hate being in a group that was being facilitated by a woman three decades his junior?

My first reaction was one of self-righteousness and rage. Here I was putting hours of volunteer time into this worthy cause only to be shot down by some jerk who came to one meeting and felt entitled to try to undermine me. Then, I began to doubt myself, my own intentions, my own abilities. Perhaps I had failed in some way and this was this man's way of telling me that I had offended or slighted him. On the other hand, maybe he was just sexist or agist and wanted to put me in back into the place he thought I should be in.

What to do?

I spent a few hours feeling like I never wanted to volunteer or try to lead again. Then I thought, well, I could just work within my own community where there is a lot of trust and love, where I know people and am known and I don't have to deal with sexist strangers.

Then I thought about it some more and realized that that is not realistic. I care about things in my bigger community. I have opinions and energy and I want to make a difference.

And what I really want to do is learn how to un-freeze in the face of sexism – or apparent sexism. I go into shock – partly because I have never been very good at reconciling my Free to Be, You and Me 70s childhood indoctrination with how sexist the world really is. And I freeze partly because the patriarchal nature of our culture has always felt pretty crushing to me. I'm hurt by it and I instinctively try to protect myself.

How to change?

I wish now that I had asked that man what he meant and tried to find out what was behind his comment. If it was intended as a joke, I might have been able to explain to him that it was an unwelcome joke that felt demoralizing to me. If it was meant as a sexist comment, I could have told him how I felt about that. And if his comment was in response to a legitimate grievance, perhaps we could have worked that out and I might have learned something about my facilitation style and how I could have helped shape a better experience for that man.

Help!

What's your advice? Do you have any tactics for dealing with sexism that you'd like to share? Do you meet it head-on? Do you have a snappy comeback at the ready? Do you freeze and stew later, like I did? I'd love to hear your insights about how to be a better leader, volunteer, activist and feminist.

3 comments:

  1. Definitely ask where the statement came from. Then if it is legitimate work out what can be done moving forward. Understanding of course that you will never make all the people happy all the time.
    If it comes from a place of machismo I feel compassion for that person trapped in their insecurities. Above all do not let it distract you from, your chosen path. If you have a vision follow the path to it's realization. All paths worth walking are fraught with obstacles each unique and there is no one easy blanket answer for all perhaps with this one exception.

    "True compassion is not just an emotional response but a firm commitment founded on reason. Therefore, a truly compassionate attitude towards others does not change even if they behave negatively. Through universal altruism, you develop a feeling of responsibility for others: the wish to help them actively overcome their problems.

    Dalai Lama"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been caught off guard by that comment as well in that environment. I often deal with sexist comments head-on but I also choose my battles according to where my mindspace is at - sometimes I'm not equipped to properly offer up my views in a coherent manner. Sometimes I sense it will provoke them further.

    I have been FILLED with stewing moments but it's also important to release them and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe in live and let live and free speech as far as it works to further a goal of society. However, you are giving this one individual too much control and input into how you feel about yourself and your good works in my humble opinion.

    I hear comments twenty times worse than this about my work from time to time. I even had a community gather together to ensure no one would even speak to me when I was there. That does not mean I am somehow less of a person or not valued in the whole of what I do.

    I think it is one of the hardest lessons to learn to just do what makes us happy and fulfilled and not give too much weight to passing criticism. You can never know the entirety of what some person, whom you meet for a short period in your life, has as the basis of his opinion.

    Maybe you reminded him of someone who he does not care for. Maybe he had a bad day or maybe he is completely sexist. Any one of these choices are not great for anyone but by going out into the world and doing things we become a target for good and bad opinions of us. We just need to learn that we know we are good and kind and hard working and that should give us 99% of our worth.

    The rest, the external, can lead us to further value only in as much as it further validates what we already know. The worlds people no longer live within a set of common courtesies and we must change with the times as we can. Sorry you had to face this type of attitude. It does nothing to further any persons efforts. I must apologize if this cretonne was being sexist. He was probably brought up wrong.

    ReplyDelete